Monday, May 18, 2009

Masterpiece

Perfection shatters
Into broken glass
There is nothing left
Of the masquerade
In the broken pieces
I see my reflection
The truth is harsh
And cuts like a blade
Who I thought I was
Was only a facade
The picture was painted
And hid every flaw
What I see now
Is dirty and ragged
The image is me
Not the dream that I saw
Tears stream down
My filthy cheeks
I cannot bear to see
What I have become
I turn my face
To hide my shame
But there is no place
That I can run
A hand reaches out
And touches my shoulder
I turn to see Him
Who I have ignored
His eyes see past
My faded beauty
They look deep in my soul
And pierce like a sword
I try to run
But He holds me still
Then He says something
I shall never forget

"I've always loved you
And I always will
I gave you life
And that I'll never regret
You are a masterpiece
A work of art
Others have bound you
But now you are free
Free of the mask
You once hid behind
You are ugly to them
But beautiful to Me."

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Very good poem!